Having a dog is a wonderful experience, but it comes with its own challenges. One of the most dreaded tasks of having a pup is cleaning dog poop off shoes.
Not only is cleaning dog poop off shoes time-consuming, but it can also be messy. Now you may be thinking about how to clean dog poop off shoes.
To clean dog poop off shoes, you have to start by scraping off any solid pieces with a plastic spoon or spatula. Then, dampen a cloth or paper towel with warm water and dish soap and rub it onto the affected area. Rinse with clean water and dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.
In this guide, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to clean dog poop off of shoes, so you can get back to enjoying your pet.
How To Clean Dog Poop off Shoes [Step-By-Step]
Dog poop is a common mess to clean up, particularly if you have a pet that loves to explore the outdoors. Unfortunately, sometimes your shoes can become a victim of the mess, and it can be tricky to know how to clean it off.
Here is a guide on how to clean dog poop off shoes:
1. Gather Supplies
The first step to cleaning dog poop off shoes is to gather the necessary supplies. You will need a pair of gloves, a few paper towels, a bucket of warm water, a sponge, a brush, and mild detergent.
2. Scrape Off Excess Poop
Once you’ve gathered the supplies, the next step is to scrape off the excess poop. Put on a pair of gloves, and use a paper towel to scrape off as much of the poop as possible carefully.
3. Soak Shoes
After you’ve scraped off the excess poop, it’s time to soak the shoes. Fill a bucket with warm water and add a few drops of mild detergent. Place the shoes in the bucket and let them soak for at least 30 minutes.
4. Scrub Shoes
When the shoes have finished soaking, take them out and use a brush to scrub them clean. You should focus on areas where the poop may have been ground into the fabric.
5. Rinse Shoes
Once you’ve finished scrubbing the shoes, rinse them off with a sponge and some warm water. Rinse off any remaining residue, and then let the shoe air dry.
What To Do if Dog Poop Remains on Shoes after Cleaning
Finding dog poop on your shoes can be an unfortunate situation, especially when you don’t know how to clean it off. Here are some helpful tips and information that can help you.
- Clean the Shoes Off as Soon as Possible: The first step should be to remove as much of the poop as you can with a tissue or paper towel. Although it may be tempting just to leave it and deal with it later, dog poop can stain and cause odor if left unattended.
- Disinfect the Shoes: After getting rid of the visible poop, you should disinfect your shoes to remove any bacteria or germs. You can use bleach, vinegar, and diluted water solution to do this.
- Invest in a Good Shoe Cleaner: If you’ve had to deal with this problem multiple times, it may be worth investing in a good shoe cleaner. These cleaners are designed to remove dirt, grime, and even poop from shoes and can be used on various materials.
- Wash the Shoes in the Washing Machine: If the shoes are machine washable, you can put them in the washing machine with some detergent. This should eliminate any remaining poop and ensure that your shoes are clean and odor-free.
- Discard the Shoes if Necessary: If the dog poop is particularly hard to remove and the smell has permeated your shoes, then it may be best to discard them. This is the last resort, but sometimes it is necessary.
Common Household Items You Can Use to Clean Dog Poop off Shoes
When it comes to dealing with a messy surprise left behind by your pooch, it is important to act quickly. Dog poop on shoes can be a particularly unpleasant experience, so it is best to take the necessary steps to remove it as quickly as possible.
Fortunately, many common household items can be used to clean up the mess. Here are the common ones you can use:
- Paper Towels: This is the most obvious item that can be used for cleaning up the mess. Simply take a few paper towels and blot the shoe’s surface to absorb most of the mess.
- White Vinegar: White vinegar is great for removing stains and odors from surfaces and can be used on shoes. Mix equal parts of white vinegar and warm water and use a cloth to scrub the affected area gently.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda is another great way to remove odors and stains from shoes. Simply sprinkle some baking soda over the affected area and let it sit for several minutes. Then, you have to use a damp cloth to scrub the area gently.
- Dish Soap: Dish soap is a great way to remove stubborn stains from shoes. Simply mix a few drops of dish soap in a bucket of warm water and use a cloth to scrub the affected area gently.
- Rubbing Alcohol: Rubbing alcohol is an effective way to remove stubborn stains from shoes. Simply apply a few drops of rubbing alcohol to a cloth and dab the affected area. This should help break down the mess and make removing it easier.
Does Dog Poop Smell Go Away on Shoes?
Most people have experienced the unpleasant smell of dog poop on their shoes at some point. It can be an embarrassing and uncomfortable situation, especially if you are in public.
But does the smell of dog poop eventually go away on shoes? The answer is yes; the smell of dog poop on shoes can and will eventually go away. The smell of dog poop is caused by bacteria, which will start to break down and dissipate over time.
Depending on the conditions, this process can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. For example, if the weather is hot and humid, the smell of dog poop on shoes will dissipate more quickly than if the weather is cold and dry.
How To remove Dog Poop Smell from Shoes
Removing the dog poop smell from shoes can be challenging, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some tips on how to get rid of the odor quickly and easily:
- Remove Any Solids From The : Before you start cleaning your shoes, you’ll want to remove any solid remnants of the poop. This can be done with a paper towel or a vacuum cleaner.
- Wash The Shoe With Soap And Water: Use a brush and warm, soapy water to scrub the shoe and remove any remaining residue. This can reduce the smell.
- Sprinkle Baking Soda on The Shoe: Sprinkle some baking soda on the shoe and let it sit for a few hours. This will help to absorb the smell.
- Vacuum the Baking Soda: After a few hours, vacuum up the baking soda. This way, you can remove any remaining odors.
- Place the Shoe in a Container of Vinegar: Place the shoe in a container of white vinegar and let it sit for an hour or two to reduce the smell further.
- Air Dry The Shoe: Hang the shoe in a well-ventilated area and let it air dry to remove any remaining odors.
Cleaning dog poop off shoes can be a bothersome task. However, it can be done quickly and efficiently with the right supplies and a few simple steps.
Hopefully, you’ve good knowledge of how to clean dog poop off shoes after reading the entire content.
Having a brush, a rag, rubbing alcohol, and a trash can on hand when taking your pet out for a walk can help you stay prepared and make the process of cleaning up after your pup much more manageable.